BUILDING PERMIT PROCESS
Any person or organization that wants to put up a building, transform an existing building, demolition an existing structure.
Submission of the application
- Title Clearance form duly signed by appropriate authority (certification of ownership)
- Building Permit application forms duly completed on behalf of the applicant
- Four (4) sets of Architectural drawings including site and block plans scale of 1/20 or 1/40 showing the position of the building(s) and other work on site and duly signed by a Registered Architect or Building professional.
- Four (sets) of Structural drawings of the building at an appropriate scale duly signed by a Structural Engineer if it is multi storey.
- Business Operating Permit (for organizations).
- Property Rate duly paid
- Any other document as may be necessary
For Multi-user and Multi-level development:
- Fire Report and appropriate fire engineering drawing duly vetted and approved by Ghana Fire Service (3 copies)
- Geo-technical (Soil investigation) Report (3 copies)
- Structural Integrity Report where the vertical extensions are proposed on existing building. (3 copies)
- Traffic Impact Assessment Report (3 copies)
- Hydrological Report and appropriate drawings (3 copies)
- Structural calculation / Analysis Report (2 copies)
- Environment Impact Assessment Report(3) (if required)
- Any other document as may be necessary.
(Contact the Works Department, the Physical Planning Department offices, relevant agencies or consultants for advice and assistance)
APPLICANTS REQUIRING PERMISSION IN PRINCIPLE (AIP)
- Three (3) sets of sketch drawings
- Three (3) copies of brief outline of project covering the location, design, activities and operational characteristics.
- Evidence of Neighborhood consultation and comments
APPLICATIONS SEEKING CHANGE OF USE OF AN EXISTING PERMIT
- Previous permit on existing building
- Proposed amendments to drawings if relevant
- Evidence of Neighborhood consultation and comments for the new use of premises
VALIDATION OF DEVELOPMENT AND BUILDING PERMIT
- Development and Building permits are valid for five years.
- Applicants who are unable to complete developments within permit validity period are required to seek permit for Extension of Time.
APPLICATION FOR EXTENSION TO EXISTING BUILDING SHOULD COMPRISE;
- Previous permit on existing building
- Four (4) new copies of block and site plan to scale of 1/20 or 1/40 showing the position of the building(s) and other works on site.
PURCHASE OF FORMS
Buy building permit application form and PPD form 1 from the Works Departments and Physical Planning Department office
COMLETION OF FORMS
Complete in full, both the Building Permit Application Form and the PPD Form 1. (Where you have difficulty in completing the forms contact Works Departments & Physical Planning Department offices for advice and assistance)
Submit completed forms with all other attachments as specified in the Building Permit Application and PPD form1 to the Physical Planning Department office.
(Contact officer in charge to be informed of corrections to be made or additions if any, the processing fee, date for inspection of site etc)
- By a team from Physical Planning Department
- and works department
- Technical sub-committee
PRESENTATION AT TECHNICAL SUB- COMMITTEE
- Application is vetted by officers from various institutions
- Comment compiled and forwarded to applicants if any
- Recommendation to Spatial Planning Committee for decision
- Endorsing of permit and collection by applicant
- Finally the Works Department shall inspect the facility upon completion and grant a certificate of habitation
COLLECTION OF PERMIT
- Pay approved building permit fee to the Works Department on receipt of approval letter.
- Collect building permit and seek further instructions for commencement of building project from Works Department.
Difference between the Development Permit and Building Permit
- Development permit is issued by the Physical Planning Department for the developer to enter the land for the needed preparation
- Building Permit is issued by the Works Department for the developer to start construction
- Cooperation between the various agencies and departments and understanding and appreciation of each ones role
- Development preceding planning
- Land use disorder, slums and squatter settlements
- Limited data and information
- Increasing environmental deterioration
- Monitoring the construction process
It is important to note that the validity of a Building Permit issued in accordance with the above process is five (5) years after which a new permit must be sought.
Developers are therefore required to seek renewal of Building Permit if development is not completed within five (5) years.
For more information please call : 0246412173